The High Cost of Recreational and Medical Marijuana to Firearms Owners

The use or possession of marijuana is illegal under Federal law. However, 29 states and the District of Columbia currently have laws broadly legalizing marijuana in some form. In addition, seven states, Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia have adopted the most expansive laws legalizing marijuana… Continue Reading

How Can I Take My SBR Out-of-State Legally?

It is illegal for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun across state lines without getting permission from the ATF. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(4); 27 CFR 478.28. So if you are planning a trip out-of-state and want to take… Continue Reading

What is the Engraving Requirement for NFA Firearms?

You cannot trust everything you read on the Internet about the engraving requirement for NFA firearms. Some forum discussions have been telling people to engrave all firearms assigned to or bought by their NFA gun trust. This is completely incorrect. Only manufacturers, importers (into the U.S.), and maker of firearms are required to engrave firearms. See 27… Continue Reading

How Do I Change the Registered Configuration of My Short-Barreled Rifle?

You have filed an ATF Form 1 application make an existing firearm into a short-barreled rifle (SBR). The ATF finally approves your Form 1 application and mails the approval document (the “tax stamp”) to you. Your tax stamp allows you to convert your firearm to the specific configuration of barrel length, overall length, and caliber… Continue Reading

I am Moving. What Do I Need to Do About My NFA Firearms?

When you move, regardless of whether you move interstate or intrastate, the ATF wants you to update them regarding the permanent location where your NFA firearms will be stored. The ATF’s change of address form is ATF Form 5320.20, entitled “Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms (NFA) Firearms. If you… Continue Reading

How Do I Complete an ATF Form 4 Application?

Our customers frequently ask about the documents that need to be sent to the ATF to form a complete ATF Form 4 application, which is used to transfer an already-manufactured NFA firearm to their gun trust. This situation commonly arises when customers buy silencers and short-barreled rifles from a Class 3 dealer. In this case, the transfer is… Continue Reading

How Do I Amend My Existing Gun Trust that I Bought Somewhere Else?

Many of our new customers contact us, because they already have a gun trust prepared by another gun trust provider, such as a Class 3 dealer or a silencer manufacturer. However, they need to make changes to their existing gun trust, such as removing co-trustees or changing beneficiaries. Additionally, many of our new customers realize how badly their… Continue Reading

Who is a “Responsible Person” in a Gun Trust?

When law-abiding gun owners file new ATF applications on or after July 13, 2016, all “responsible persons” associated with a gun trust will be required to submit fingerprints and photographs, as well as notify the chief law enforcement officer in their jurisdiction that the gun trust is purchasing or manufacturing an NFA firearm. Since the… Continue Reading

SSL Certificate

Congratulations! You are minutes away from receiving your gun trust drafted specifically for your state. Get ready to be impressed!